Scientific objectives and approach:
To develop a water saving technique for high pressure cleaning which
- reduce the water consumption with 40%
- allow individual adjustments of flow and pressure values to optimise hygienic cleaning
- minimise the number of water droplets, which can distribute micro-organisms
- decrease the number of micro-organisms with 25%
- decrease the energy consumption with 20%
The issue in this developing work is to resolve the following technical problems
- how to optimise water energy for reduction of water consumption
- how to adjust flow rate and pressure independently of each other
- how to change the shape and size of the water drops in the water jet without exchanging the nozzle
Problems to be solved:
All over the world industries use high-pressure water cleaning to get rid of contamination, micro-organisms and bacteria's. In food-, pharmaceutical- and agriculturalindustries enormous amounts of water are used every day for different cleaning purposes. In many parts of Europe, and also all over the world, there is a lack of good quality water at a reasonable price. In this project we focus on improving the technique for high-pressure cleaning to reduce the water consumption and improve the hygienic cleaning result.
The result will be a high pressure cleaning pump with trigless spray gun and possibilities to adjust water flow and pressure. The SME core group will exploit the RTD results and sell the new pump to food processing plants and other plants with high demands in Europe starting in the end of 2003. Dissemination/presentation of the product will be at EIMA Fair end of 2003.
Major Deliverables - Milestones :
- to reduce water consumption by 40% and improve cleaning efficiency.
- to regulate flow rate and pressure.
- to control the size and shape of the water drops in the water jet.
1Comparison with the stated objectives: The overall objective:
- develop a water saving technique for high-pressure cleaning yes
- reduces the water consumption with 40% about 20 %
- allows flow and pressure to be adjusted independently, to optimise all types of hygienic cleaning yes
- minimises the number of water droplets, which can distribute micro-organisms yes The industrial objectives are to:
- increase the cleaning effect with 25% yes
- decrease the energy consumption with 20% about 15 %
- increase the equipment life-time with 20% 5-10 times
- be able to program and pre-set the unit for different cleaning purposes yes
- be able to change the shape of the water-jet without changing the nozzle yes The economic objectives are to:
- reduce the water cost and water purification cost with 30% about 15 %
- reduce the chemical cost with 10% yes
- reduce the personnel cost with 20% and also shorten the cleaning time with 20% about 20 % The social objectives are to:
- be able to secure and guarantee a hygienic level in food production yes
- improve the operators working conditions yes Summary We have solved the technical problems and developed a new water saving pump.
Funding SchemeCRS - Cooperative research contracts
312 31 Laholm
235 37 Vellinge
412 88 Goeteborg
302 65 Halmstad