The main objectives of the project are :
- to use new technologies to develop improved pea protein products which
are devoid of antiphysiological and antinutritional factors;
- to design and develop a technical process to prepare improved pea protein
products under pilot plant and factory conditions;
- to evaluate the functional and sensory properties of improved pea protein
products added to a variety of foods for human consumption;
- to screen in vitro and in animal models the nutritional properties and
antigenicity of the protein products;
- to develop an infant formula based on the improved pea protein products
and to evaluate the formula for antigenicity and protein quality in animals
and iron absorption in infants.
The aim is to develop pea protein products with a high bioavailability of minerals, a high nutritive value of the protein and a low antigenicity. The work will contain evaluation of genetic variation of peas and selection of suitable starting materials of peas for preparation of pea protein products. The results from these studies together with technological and sensorial evaluations of the protein products will be used for selection of pea proteins to be used in test products for adults and infants.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
105 46 Stockholm