The 1993 market volume of paper and paper board in the EU is 63. 5 mio tons. Main market segments for utilization of starch products are printing and writing paper (23 .8 mio tons) and wrapping and packaging paper (25.9 tons), with a starch content of typically 4-6% and 4-9% respectively. Based on average figures, the total market volume of starch products for the paper industry is about 2.9 mio tons . The utilization of waste paper as raw material for paper production is still increasing. However, the use of waste paper requires a higher utilization of modified starches. Such higher utilizations of starch products are also found on markets where they are price competitive to other ingredients. The utilization of modified starches is foreseen to increase substantially when low cost modified starches are available.
The objective of the Cascade project is to investigate and scale up a vertically integrated chain for the production in dry state only of modified high quality wheat flours at only half the production costs of present products to achieve
a) an enhanced competitiveness which significantly extend the use of modified starches in the paper industry,
b) a new outlet for European wheat and
c) a much more environmentally friendly processing.
The Cascade project involves the following tasks:
1) Production of uniform high quality non-food wheat by grading;
2) dry fractionation of uniform low protein wheats;
3) Inactivation and control of biochemical and microbiological activity;
4) Chemical modification of low protein/high starch wheat flours in dry state;
5) Development and utilization of on-line process and product control system;
6) Industrial testing and market evaluation of high quality modified starch flours.
The main savings are calculated as follows :
1) he traditional wet milling of starch is characterized by high water and energy
consumption while the dry cascade refining consumes no water, no fuel oil and a very limited amount of electrical power.
2) Chemical modification is carried out in dry state processes while present processes are wet.The savings in production costs are estimated to at least30/40%.
3) This new integrated chain will increase the yield of finished products by 50%.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
661 29 Säffle
2100 Copenhagen O