The main objective of this concerted action is to prepare up-to-date information on the industrial potential of Miscanthus in Europe. The concerted action will examine in particular the potential of Miscanthus as a raw material in the energy industry, paper pulp industry and in hardboard manufacture. To achieve this objective the concerted action will prepare up-to-date information on a Miscanthus covering agronomy, production, harvesting, pre-treatment, industrial conversions, environmental impact and economics. The work will identify obstacles to the current exploitation of Miscanthus as an industrial crop and will define how R&D can overcome these obstacles. One of the main results of the work will be detailed specification of the R&D requirements of Miscanthus. The concerted action will be organised and structured to provide information to:EU Miscanthus state of the art and its potential as an industrial non-food crop
Researchers: Identify topics which require further research. The concerted action will provide a forum for discussion of these R&D topics and for the establishment of consortia for specific R&D tasks.
Industrial organisations: Provide practical information on Miscanthus, its potential as a commercial crop and information on economics, logistics, expertise and production method
The consortium involved in this proposal includes Universities, Research Centres, and Industrial Organisations who have been involved in Miscanthus since 1990. The concerted action will build on the work done by the European Miscanthus Network (AIR-CT92-0294).
Project Specific Objective
The objectives outlined in the previous paragraphs will be implement by the following specific project objectives:
1. to maintain and expand the network of researchers and industrial organisatio involved in Miscanthus research in the EU
2. the consolidation of all data from Miscanthus R&D and the presentation of th data in a format suited to the EC, researchers and industrial organisations
3. workshops on Miscanthus to discuss new developments (technical and policy) a to identify specific Research and Development, Pilot Actions and Demonstrati
4. promotion of the results of Miscanthus R&D through technical and industrial publications. This will be done at EU and National Level
5. liaison with international activities in particul ar the International Energy Agency (EA) Task XII
6. preparation of a Handbook on Miscanthus describing the state-of-the-art of Miscanthus
Relevance of the proposed work to the objectives of the Work Programme
The proposal addresses section 1.1.1 of the work programme in that it concentra on the biomass and bio-energy chain of the j whole system (filler). The project brings together experts in the biomass and bio-energy field from universities, research centres and industries and will promote the results to a wider organisations involved in biomass and bio-energy. The proposed work is relevant to DGVI as it addresses CAP reform and relates in particular to commission regulation (EEC) No334/93 and commission regulation NO 2295/93 which specify Miscanthus as a crop which can be grown on set-aside land without affecting set-aside payments (provided the crop is destined for a non-food market). This proposal addresses section 1.1.1. of the work programme.
Funding SchemeCON - Coordination of research actions
CB6 2BA Ely
7500 AE Enschede
190 09 Pikermi - Attiki
00060 Santa Maria Di Galeria Roma
AL5 2JQ Harpenden, Herts
15706 Santiago De Compostella
2825 Monte De Caparica
6703 HD Wageningen