The proposal is to develop a network of researchers involved in efforts on CAP and environment in the European Union. The projects general objectives are to bring together research carried out in the field of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and the environment of the European Union. These research activities might be supported by the Community or by Member States.
The objectives of the proposed work therefore are:
(1) To assess the present state of knowledge on the environmental effects of CAP and to investigate the environmental requirements on policy, deriving from either agricultural or environmental policies.
(2) To compose an overview of present research efforts in the European Union regarding the effects of CAP on the environment, to exchange research methods and results to further improve methodologies among researchers in this field.
(3) To communicate the present state of knowledge regarding the effects of CAP on the environment with interest groups (e.g. Ministries in Central and Eastern European countries, agricultural business sector, water authorities transnational NG0s, environmental groups).
(4) To communicate the present state of knowledge regarding the effects of CAP on the environment with policy makers (e.g. representatives of national and regional governments and the European Commission).
(5) To publish a state-of-the-art document on linkages between CAP and the environment.
(6) To identify areas of research needs in response to prospective or potential changes in agricultural policy, and subsequently to assess what data might be required to gauge progress in the efforts to monitor the objectives of CAP, to be integrated with objectives on quality of the European environment
Funding SchemeSTU - Study contracts, assessment contracts
NE1 7RU Newcastle Upon Tyne