DCC/UDIN, which is the nuclear dismantling installations unit of CEA and manages most of its waste, is in a good position to transpose and transmit technical and economical information. The nature and importance of the waste justifies public information.
The first step of the work aims at: searching and defining a good media dissertation and realizing a pilot operation of communication. The results expected will form a practical contribution to solve sociological problems issued by waste management, whether they be hazardous or not. The economical benefits expected from this information will be tied to human analysis, positive and intelligent, in solving conflicts related to waste management in the European Community. To answer public needs for information, several partners were selected: the university of Paris-Orsay to translate technical information into common "popular" language, a group of sociologists to explore and explain the fears and hopes of the public, a movie maker skilled in technical, didactic and TV films.
The nature and importance of toxic and radioactive waste justifies a need for good public information. The first step of the work aims to search and define a good media dissertation and to realize a pilot operation of communication. The expected results will form a practical contribution to solving the sociological problems issued by hazardous or nonhazardous waste management. The economical benefits expected to arise from this information will be tied to human analysis to help solve conflicts related to waste management in the European Community.
The structure of this study involves:
selection of partners;
evaluation of application to actual dismantling plants;
analysis of similar actions evolving in other fields;
investigation of results and definition of the basis of the discourse;
investigation of different fields;
selection of targeted public and evaluation of their reactions to the proposed discourse;
development of adaptation operations and validation of the elaborated processes;
production of a final report with global recommendations and drafting of annexes according to the discourse and transposable actions.
State of advancement:
During the initial stages of the project meetings and visits were organised between experts of CEA (Unit of the Commissioning of nuclear installations), having several years of experience, and the partners in order to give them the first explanations on the technical field of the work.
The programme of the study is approximately structured according to the following steps:
- selection of partners, define basis of discourse and iconographic data; evaluation of application to actual dismantling plants (e.g.: G2-G3, Rapsodie)
- analysis of similar actions evolving in other fields; investigation of results, definition of the basis of the discourse.
- investigation of different fields; selection of targeted public; acceptance of such a public; approach and motivation of media-atypic persons and evaluation of their reactions to the proposal discourse.
- methodology of pilot operation: study of original communication charter; meetings with support producers; contacts with media.
- Development of adaptation operations and validation of the elaborated processes.
- Final report with global recommendations. Drafting of annexes according to discourse and transposable actions.