Research objectives and content
To achieve the main aim of this project -the study on the elimination of obstacles to the free movement of medicines- it is necessary to analyse the health sector in all its complexity: the individual health protection, the social security system and the legitimate interests of the operators involved (manufacturers, wholesale distributors, dispensing chemists and pharmacists).
The fundamental aspects that should be considered are:
- price control in relation to medicines' consumption and the national industry's competitive capacity;
- assessment of the efficacy and impact of integration on the internal market for the pharmaceutical sector;
- evaluation of the effects of EC member States' national legislation on the authorization, production and distribution of pharmaceuticals
The strategic guidelines for an action in the pharmaceuticals sector should be mapped out at Community level and have to be directed towards:
- the real availability of medicines able to provide the highest possible level of health protection for European citizens;
- and the European pharmaceutical industry's competitiveness.
Training content (objective, benefit and expected impact)
A comparative study of the regulations on price-setting mechanisms and authorisation procedures of pharmaceuticals in the different Member States will supply the essential information to get over the obstacles that hamper the free movement of medicines within the European Union and will provide the researcher with skills in the area of international pharmaceutical legislation. This project is the continuity of the study on retail-trade of pharmaceuticals that has been the subject of the applicant's doctoral thesis.
Links with industry / Industrial relevance (22)
The results of this project, as far as the free market of medicines is concerned, will have direct effect on the pharmaceutical industry in Europe.