In wood and stone conversion industries, dust and noise cause serious human and environmental problems, diseases and pollution. 11000 noise related and 5000 dust related occupational diseases are expected in a year causing costs of 2600 million Euros. The proposed object aims at reducing the amount of noise and dust just where they originate, at the cutting edge where the tool touches the material. A model and software for optimising of milling in respect of noise, dust, and quality of products, sensors for detecting dust, noise and quality of products and on line control system will be developed . The main expected achievements enable to reduce the dust exposure level by 25% and noise by 3 dB. The expected saving potential is estimated to be at least 250 Million Euros per year.
The testing methods, equipment and environments have been set up and calibrated;
- test materials have been specified, selected, pre-processed and transported to test sites;
- test tools have been designed and manufactured large amount of tests have been performed;
- models have been developed;
- databases have been set up;
- controls systems have been developed;
- filler process has been renewed;
- new type of silent and nearly dustless cutting machines have been developed;
- dust removal and caption systems (cabin and desk) for stone industry have been developed. Operative manuals (Good Practice Manual and Method for dust and noise monitoring in filler industries) and MTS have been developed. A new plant layout has been designed for Damiani Marmi and Umbria Filler.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts