The European commission and the European car industry have agreed to reduce CO2-emission from new cars by 30% in 10 years time. The overall objective of this proposal is to reduce pollution by introducing lightweight magnesium as construction material in the engine area. The specific objectives are:
1. Development of Mg-alloy(s) with improved high-temperature properties.
2. Determination of high-temperature mechanical properties for selected Mg-alloys.
3. Development of generic design criteria for Mg-engine blocks.
4. Manufacture of Mg-engine block prototypes.
5. Development of an Al-bolt fastening system for Mg-engines. Weight savings of 27% and 38% are expected when compared with engines made from aluminium and cast iron, respectively. The proposal is part of a cluster aimed at introducing more Mg into cars.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
M5J 2T3 Toronto
405 31 Goeteborg