The main objectives are as follows:
* To get better knowledge of breed genetic variability, for further application in developing genetic improvement.
* To evaluate the adaptative capacity of the breed to the environment and its natural resistance to major animal diseases.
* To improve productivity through introduction of upgraded techniques to be developed through the project.
* To determine selection programs and breed conservation plans for further funding.
* Train and transfer of technologies to national research systems.
* To enhance North-South partnership.
The work carried out in this project should provide guidance for selection and preservation of Somba breed which is endangered. It should give tools to identify the Somba breed. The program also highlights useful for conservation and improvement animal resources in Benin and Togo for the health and development of human population. The increasing of animal productions will improve social and economic environment of Benin and Togo.
The activities are structured in target-phases:
* Target phase 1
* identification and analysis of socio-anthropological situation, in the area and of the typical raising systems for this breed (socio-economical and zootechnical study),
* survey on animal health (cross-sectional and follow up studies in collaboration with partners in the project),
* evaluation of genetic variability by hematic and milk proteins gene markers determination using biochemical methods and modern biotechnology (PCR, microsatellite).
* Target phase 2
* finding out targets selection programs through study on performances of production and morphometrical characteristics,
* identification of morphometrical traits with strong economical interest to be selected
* use of genetic material preservation techniques (cryoconservation of spermatozoa, oocytes, embryos),
* study of genetic models for inbreed control, germplasm preservation, productive characters improvement,
* study of effect of trypanosomiasis and other diseases on productivity,
* study of correlation between gene markers and disease resistance aspects.
* Target phase 3
* to purpose and carry out selection programs and global development projects in order to be able to give local breeder a specimen with more interesting and profitable morpho-functional characteristics.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
10 Agou Gare