* To produce an inventory of environmental resources for selected coastal karstic regions of Malta, Turkey and Lebanon.
* To identify the institutional structures in these countries and carry out comparative analysis and evaluation of policies for resources management.
* Devise integrative methodologies, based on information management tools such as GIS and remote sensing, and to validate these for the selected study areas.
* Formulate sustainable resource management strategies, that can be used to respond effectively to identified development needs.
The project should provide a generic methodology (a guidebook) which can be used to devise decision making tools for coastal karstic areas. A software product which can be used to simulate different scenarios will be produced for the study areas. This will be used to demonstrate what can be achieved with the methodology.
The methodology will be of use to planners and administrators as a way to devise strategies which aim to allow development in coastal karstic areas, whilst preserving the karst massif and the resources associated with it.
* Bibliographic studies to provide an assessment and of the structure and roles of various institutional organisations which have responsibility for resource management in the areas and interviews to identify planning policies within each country. A comparison will then be drawn between the countries.
* Field studies and bibliographic studies to establish an inventory of resources, an assessment of the state of the resources, their importance and the vulnerability of the resources.
* Bibliographic and field studies, and interviews to determine the environmental problems facing the karst massifs in each of the areas.
* Research to identify the relationships between the various resources in the karst massif and identification of parameters which can be used to represent these relationships.
* Development of a methodology and a software system which will utilise the methodology developed.
* Collection of data (by sampling & analysis, field studies, remote sensing, bibliography) which will be used in the system.
* Demonstration of the methodology and software to decision makers.
* Studies to provide strategies which can be used by decision makers as an aid to resource management and will provide acceptable strategies for spatial development in coastal karstic areas.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
CSP 06 Senglea
2047 8602 Beirut