The main objectives are defined as follows :
* To determine and formulate strategically solutions for the implementation of sustainable energy systems in the Sahelian region.
* To develop economical, technological, social and political policy options for the transition through the new energy system in terms of targets, implementation methods, monitoring and evaluation criteria.
* To develop the local human capital through permanent involvement of the endogenous capabilities and promotion of local experts i.e. policy making abilities.
* To provide follow-up to previous EU projects in this area and transfer their results into practical solutions and options.
The first major expected result of the project is to develop a comprehensive and complex set of strategical solutions for the implementation of a sustainable energy system in Sahel region. The second one is to provide a set of short, medium and long-term economical, technological, social and political policy options for the transition to new energy system. The options will be developed in terms of targets, implementation methods, and monitoring and evaluation criteria.
As a result of the project implementation it could be preview the following benefits for the Sahelian countries :
* Economic benefit : agricultural activities development; reducing of the imports dependency; equilibration of the external balance of payments.
* Social benefits : improvement of living conditions : employment generation; reducing of uncontrolled rural - urban migration.
* Environmental benefits : reducing of deforestation; reducing the pressure of uncontrolled urbanisation.
The key activities are :
* Development of analysis and evaluation instruments.
* Research on how to improve and adapt the existing legislative, administrative and fiscal framework to the sustainable energy concept.
* Research on necessary infrastructures and ways of development.
* Study of the educational aspects necessary for a sustainable implementation of the proposed measures.
* Research on social impacts of new energy concept and transition processes.
* Research on investment implications.
* Case Study for a representative Sahelian country.
* Final Model of the transition schemes.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
Nouakchott - Rim
35017 Las Palmas De Gran Canaria - Telde