The main objectives of the project are as follows :
* To increase information on the performance and management of planted trees.
* To improve management and increase production of those African production systems that contain planted trees.
* To establish smoothly working networks among the African researchers and between African and European researchers in the fields of nursery production, plantation management, and growth and yield.
* To improve the professional skill of the African researchers in the partner organizations in Tanzania, Kenya, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Namibia.
The outcomes of the project are as follows :
* New information in the form of research reports on small-scale tree seedling production for agroforestry, silvipastoral and argo-silvipastoral systems.
* Yield information in the form of research reports and simulation programs, for the comparison of management alternatives of tree plantations;
* Technical tools (simulation programs, optimization models, expert systems, and decision support systems) for supporting improved species selection and plantation management.
The main activities are :
* Coordination and concertation including : annual meetings and related activities; coordination visits; workshops of research teams; monitoring and evaluation.
* Training and staff exchange including a total of ten two- to three-month visits to another partner organization.
* Empirical studies on : nursery practices; species selection; growth and yield; agroforestry, silvipastoral and agrosilvipastoral systems.
* Development of decision support including : simulation programs; optimization models; expert system for species selection and plantation establishment; decision support system for plantation management.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts