To link researchers and policy makers in 14 countries for the purposes of initiating and supporting research on the public-private mix in health care in developing countries.
Specifically, the network will concentrate on support for research in two areas :
- Regulation and incentive setting for private health sector players
- The selective involvement of private sector players to achieve public policy goals through contracting arrangements, allowing private practice by public sector doctors, and expanding the role of private practitioners in the delivery of public health services.
Firstly, the network will increase the volume and quality of research into public-private mix issues in developing countries. It will also provide a streamlined route for new entrants to this field to access available literature and human resources, and, by means of a project register, reduce duplication of existing work. Finally, the network should increase the profile of research results around public private mix issues for both national and international policy makers, and thus improve health care organisation, financing and provision practice in developing countries.
The following activities will be undertaken by the network to meet its research support goals.
* The development of internet connections to facilitate exchange of ideas, circulation of research methods and results, and the dissemination of key findings in this field. This will be done using text-based automatic mailing systems (known as 'mailbases') and an interactive World Wide Web site.
* Structured meetings between all participants to share research ideas, work in progress or results, facilitate support for new research, provide access to technical experts, and inform dissemination strategies and approaches to improve the impact of work on policy.
* Staff exchange visits to provide support to researchers in the field.
* Preparation of methodological reviews to guide current and future work in this area internationally.
Funding SchemeCON - Coordination of research actions
30 Couseway Harare
14000 Del. Tialpan
171 77 Stockholm
WC1E 7HT London
250012 Jinan - Shandong
40018 Worli - Mumbai
7925 Observatory, Cape Town
50300 Kuala Lumpur
Dar Es Salaam