TOSCA aims to gather the experience gained by the cities of Bologna and Bremen - to facilitate the transfer of car-sharing technologies and to further disseminate the transport and environment policy related benefits and options of IST-based car-sharing to other European cities. In the TOSCA project the public transport operator of the City of Bologna (ATC) will implement a pilot application of IST-based car-sharing, taking up the technologies and methodologies used for the successfully implemented and well established car-sharing concept of the City of Bremen. TOSCA is an initiative that will support the implementation of commercially sustainable IST-based car-sharing concepts, as an element of flexible and intermodal door-to-door mobility, in a number of European cities and will facilitate further take-up developments, such as integrated smart card for public transport, car-sharing and taxis (as developed in INTERCEPT) or car-sharing booking and information system via Wireless Application Protocol (WAP).
The key objective of TOSCA is to promote the take up of mature, but insufficiently deployed leading edge technologies and innovative implementation/business concepts of car-sharing and to establish the integrated, IST-based car-sharing concept (as an element of flexible and intermodal door-to-door mobility services) as European Best Practice and to prepare for further take up in European cities.
In order to achieve this key objective, the following operational goals have been defined:
1. To transfer innovative technological tools of the car-sharing scheme in the City of Bremen (supplier) to the public transport operator ATC-Bologna (user);
2. To develop and implement a pilot application of car sharing in the city of Bologna, based on the implementation and business concept of the car sharing system in Bremen;
3. To develop a business and technical implementation plan for three European cities in France, Spain and an Eastern European country;
4. To disseminate the project results and best practice examples of car-sharing more widely.
On the basis of the identified operational goals of the project, an agreed set of tasks has been defined, which will be implemented within several work packages. The work package on implementation planning will include all tasks for planning and preparing the car sharing take-up in Bologna. Here the specific preconditions for physical implementation, business planning and marketing, before the take up of car-sharing technologies can take place, will be identified and the exact technological implementation parameters will be determined. In the technical implementation work package all software and hardware elements for the car-sharing scheme in Bologna will be installed. After successful installation the system will be tested and the car sharing staff will be trained. In the operation phase of the pilot car-sharing system of Bologna comprehensive data for evaluating the effects of the car sharing application will be collected. The evaluation will comprise the analysis of user acceptance, changes in mobility behaviour of the users, social and environmental impacts, and of the extent to which the quantified objectives have been met. Through the European transfer planning and the dissemination of best practice the take up of the car-sharing experiences in the Cities of Bremen and Bologna will be promoted to other European cities.
In the European transfer planning TOSCA will give concrete support for three European follower cities to develop car-sharing implementation and business studies, whereas the dissemination of best practice includes the organization of three car sharing workshops which target a wider audience of local transport decision makers in Europe in order to increase the awareness on the benefits of car sharing, the preparation of a car-sharing brochure and a best practice study as well as www-dissemination of results.
The major milestones will be as follows:
1. To develop a car-sharing implementation and business plan for ATC Bologna in order to set up an integrated IST-based car-sharing system;
2. To install and test all software and hardware components of the car-sharing pilot application in Bologna and to test its operation;
3. To establish the integrated, IST-based car-sharing concept as European Best Practice and to prepare for further take up in the City of Prague and two other cities from France and Spain;
4. To achieve a better awareness on the benefits and options of realising an IST-based car-sharing.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures