The FUTURE project aims at exploring recent advances in the Internet arena in view of their applicability in 3G UMTS systems. Special emphasis is given to S-UMTS with core network consolidation towards a general purpose multi service UMTS connectivity network, legacy GSM/UMTS voice service migration, and the introduction of a wide range of optimised multimedia communication and information services, based on SIP and Web/WAP techniques. The integration of telephony services with information services is regarded as base for end-user service multiplication and will be combined with inherent capabilities of S-UMTS satellites like wide area coverage, broadcasting, and location determination.
1) Design of a SIP based UMTS multimedia subsystem to be integrated into the cellular network operator's/service provider's network infrastructure to offer real-time multimedia services.
2) A multimedia SIP Client and enhanced SIP Proxy will be designed, developed and partly implemented as prototypes using a commercial platform.
3) Exploring innovative applications offering innumerable combinations of SIP based real-time multimedia communication services and Web/WAP based non-real-time information services.
4) Demonstrating the achievement of end-to-end QoS for the services voice over IP, web browsing and ftp server.
5) Demonstrating the "QoS guaranteeing functions" allowing to meet the QoS subcontract in the UMTS Access Network.
6) Evaluating the efficiency of physical and MAC layer access mechanisms.
7) Trials multicasting in satellite UMTS section.
The work to be undertaken in the FUTURE project is divided into the following nine Workpackages:
WP 100 Requirements for new functionality and reference model
WP200 Emulator adaptation
WP 300 QoS in the Core Network and in the Access Network
WP400 IP based Multimedia Subsystem
WP500 Integration and test
WP700 Dissemination, Standardisation, Exploitation
WP800 Assessment and evaluation
WP900 Management and coordination
The expected result of FUTURE is that key functions of the envisaged full service IP based target UMTS will be identified, designed and demonstrated, using the VIRTUOUS Demonstrator upgraded with the relevant functionalities.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
28230 Las Rozas - Madrid