SPIRIT is a pioneering initiative to accelerate the uptake of regional health network solutions. It will establish a self-sustaining, profitable, and user driven best practice open source business for healthcare software and other resources. This will enable the implementation, enhancement, and propagation of regional health networks. The project will create a highly collaborative self-sustaining global community of healthcare software developers and healthcare professionals that will share, improve, and create innovative solutions for healthcare. The project will provide freely available resources that will enable better citizen-centred care both in Europe and globally.
The project will apply the experience of successful open source projects in other domains to the health care sector. Specific project objectives for priming the virtuous spiral for health care are:
- Increase the size and activity of the community of collaborative developers, users, and policy makers.
- Locate additional seed projects and software.
- Create a virutal meeting place.
- Increase the commercial exploitation of selected open source resources.
The project will consist of the following work:
- Identification of best practice open source candidate software applications and components, including other resources from existing, ongoing and planned projects, government agencies, medical teaching institutions and other healthcare enterprises.
- Classification of applications and software components into categories based on the type of open source license that can be applied to provide a framework to facilitate integration and ensure compatibility.
- Selection of the most strategic best practice resources. These resources will be given more comprehensive preparation prior to distribution via CD-ROM and Web Portal.
- Collection of resources such as software, test suites, test data, sample data, and documentation to create a multilingual summary and indexof open source health network components and solutions.
- Identification of enhancements which can be made to facilitate broader take-up.
- Launch a self-sustaining portal site for the dissemination and ongoing development of solutions
- Creation of a multi-lingual software index
- Conduct surveys to measure changes in awareness and deployment of open source software in health care target groups
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures