The ACEOS project aims at porting the Linux open source operating system to an embedded network processor, in order to be used for the development of complex interworking applications. Minor adaptations are required to enhance the system's real time performance. The combination of the existing embedded hardware with the ported OS will provide a flexible and open development system, which can be used for the prototyping and S/W integration of various communication applications. This will reduce the overall system cost and will allow the implementation of high quality embedded software for telecommunication applications based on open source modules. The consortium will liaise with organisations in similar activities, on the base of openness and equality. The results of the best practice action will be available to organisations outside the consortium. Most of the code and the associated documentation will be available as open source.
The ACEOS project objectives are summarized as follows:
- Improve existing solutions in the area of software development for embedded communication systems.
- Fine-tuning and customisation according to the specific needs of the user(s).
- Liaise with similar entities and disseminate experience gained on open source S/W development, targeting the formation of a "user/supplier" community for the specific application area (embedded communications systems).
- Demonstrate the feasibility of implementing demanding, complex, real-time embedded S/W, based on open source development methodologies.
- Optimally use the acquired technology through the revision of the company's business process.
- Carry out the ACEOS baseline project.
The ACEOS project will accomplish the following major tasks:
- Methodology and toolchain adoption for porting / adapting to the target environment: Porting of an existing OS to a new processor platform is not a straightforward process. It includes several tasks and requires good background knowledge of issues applied to hardware and software. The partners will provide expertise related to the specific processor as well as to developing applications for telecommunication systems using Linux.
- Micro kernel implementation: During this task the customisation of the Linux kernel to the TriCore's architecture will take place. Specific steps will be followed for the migration to the new technology. Characteristics of the processor like memory management, interrupt handling etc., will be taken into consideration to optimise the ported kernel.
- Application developmentDrivers for the peripherals on the board will be ported and thoroughly tested. Next, communication protocols will be added to the system code. A set of sample communication applications, will be implemented to demonstrate and asses the board's features.
- Adaptation of business process: The company's business process will be adapted to the environment of open source development/distribution. This will impact both the technical development procedures and the marketing/pricing policies.
The expected results are:
- An improved embedded real time Linux kernel for the TriCore processor available as open source.
- Low-level device drivers for various embedded networking peripherals.
- Protocol stacks (such as TCP/IP) and other internetworking functions.
- Demonstration applications and evaluation of system's performance.
- Reports providing feedback on the utilised process and the lessons learned
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures