The objective of the SoC-MOBINET project is to provide a European research and educational centre for enhancing the number of electronic engineers with System-on-Chip skills for mobile Internet applications. The project is based on recognised centres of excellence with a tight coupling of education, research and leading industrial manufacturers of wireless systems. The activities will be twofold:
1. Joint R&D to enable new classes of devices and gadgets for the mobile Internet, with special focus on methods of making the design flow more efficient, and;
2. Provision of a European Centre of Excellence for training in socware for mobile Internet applications.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
A European SoC training centre will offer access to a comprehensive range of research and development facilities, covering fully-serviced laboratories, methods, tools and employee training support. The initiative will develop the centre into a leading world location for System-on-Chip design. Working in partnership with Europe's top universities in this field (KTH, TUT, DTU and CTI) and a range of private sector partners, the vision can become reality.
The initiative consists of:
1. A Research & Development activity to come up with new design paradigms for highly complex SoC systems required for mobile Internet applications;
2. An educational activity to increase the number of skilled SoC designers (graduates and PhDs);
3. A continuous training programme to address the shortage of skilled SoC designers in European industry.
The purpose of the research activity is to support the education program in full breath and not to produce an integrated demonstrator or gadget. SoC-MOBINET's output is therefore people and competence in the SoC area. For the same reason the exploitation plan is measured via recruitment of the individuals as well as integration of the research results in the courses and cross-fertilisation of course content due to exchange work between universities and between academia and industry.
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures
164 40 Stockholm-kista
2800 Kgs. Lyngby
9800 Spittal An Der Drau
164 40 Kista