Within the Smart Card Charter of eEurope, the TB5 is in charge of e-payments, with the mission of securing all payments using chip cards. The TB5 has defined three axes of work:
1. Synchronize EMV migration across Europe;
2. Encourage e-Euro by adopting CEPS e-purse and its continental roll-out;
3. Accelerate the convergence of smart card based e&m payment methods.
The objectives of the Smart@pay project are:
- to ensure an efficient work of the TB5 by getting good representation in the group and preparing high quality working documents;
- to establish links with existing bodies having the same objectives;
- to develop an efficient dissemination program, in and outside Europe;
- to liaise with the CEPS purse DUCATO pilot, the first European CEPs initiative;
- to co-ordinate the TB5 activities with other trail blazers;
- to provide an efficient secretariat throughout the 20 months of lifecycle of TB5.
The project consists of 5 work packages: WP1 Co-ordinating activities in Europe;
- Smart@pay participants will ensure a permanent link with all European bodies (ETSI, CEN, European Payment Observatory);
- Exchange of information on on-going work;
- Grouping similar initiatives in a single Working Group when feasible, or creation of liaison sub-groups;
- Shared communication programmes and events Smart@pay participants will link and support all initiatives taken for EMV, CEPS, mobile & payment convergence, in particular the Ducato pilot.
WP2 Co-ordinating activities outside Europe - Payment interoperability and ubiquity is global.
Smart@pay participants will promote the solutions selected by European industry and, on the other hand collect information on similar initiatives in Asia, the US, and the CEC countries. Smart@pay participants will link with global organizations like EMV, CEPs, GMCIG, MOBEY, MeT. Visits will be made to hold focused discussions with similar organizations in other continents.
WP3 Dissemination and use - A full communication plan (letters, e-letters, brochures, PR, Smart Card Charter Web site, representation in conferences) will be established and executed.
TB5 has already set the goal of organising at least two events: one on EMV and CEPS, and one on the e and m-payments convergence issue.
WP4 Secretariat Support - The main tasks of the secretariat are the traditional tasks of a group secretary:- organization of all pre and post meeting logistics for TB meetings- setting up of meetings with key-players in Europe and outside Europe- providing all working material necessary for an efficient activity of the TB5- providing all necessary documents for the TB5 liaison with other TB's and SCC Steering Committee.
WP5 Project management Well defined objectives and clear responsibilities have been set for all project participants, and a strict tracking will be put in place.
The result of this project is the successful outcome of the eEurope TB5 e-Payments.
Major milestones are:
- Identify barriers and drivers for EMV and CEPs roll-out, propose and initiate appropriate actions to overcome these barriers;
- Produce a common position paper on mobile payments describing the technical (and possibly other) challenges to be addressed to achieve a single market for mobile payments;
- Conduct actions lowering barriers and accelerating roll-out, one of them being a major EMV CEPS event by Q4 2001;
- Bring together financial and telecommunication sector on smart card based payments in a discussion, in order to achieve win-win co-operation- Hold a high level mobile payment event in 2002.