The main goal of the SMARTER project is, through the development of support activities, to meet needs for better coherence, visibility and international impact of actions performed as part of the IST programme, on the theme of Home Environments or related themes. A Web site, a trailer, an information brochure and an exhibition stand ("Common Demo") will be created in close liaison with the European Commission and with those IST projects involved in the concetration mechanism run by unit INFSO/E3. The results will be circulated at three major events: Net-atHome2001, Net-atHome2002, and EuroChina2002 (April 2002 in Beijing, China). Support to the concetration mechanism evoked above is also an activity planned in the SMARTER project, as is the organisation of a study trip to the US in May 2002.
The goal of the SMARTER project is to develop support activities which will improve the coherence, visibility and impact of actions performed on the theme of Home Environments or related themes, as part of the IST programme.
The following activities are planned:
- Support to the concetration mechanism run by unit INFSO/E3 (support to reporting and dissemination activities in particular);
- Collection of information from projects involved in this concetration mechanism and creation of consensual content;
- Designing and realising a 6x6 m2 booth (to be shared by all CPA1 and 6.4.2 projects wishing it) and related exhibition material (a brochure, to be printed up to 10,000 copies, a video trailer, to be displayed during an exhibition, posters to be used in the booth);
- Exhibiting this common booth at : Net-atHome2001, Net-atHome2002 (Net-atHome is the leading European annual Conference & Exhibition in the field of Home Environments) and EuroChina2002 (April 2002 in Beijing, China);
- Designing, realising and promoting a web site devoted to project activities;
- Organising a study trip to the US in May 2002, including the attendance to the Connections2002 event and ensuring the visibility of participating organisations.
Over and above a workpackage dedicated to Management (WP1), two workpackages organise the work to be done as part of the SMARTER project:
- WP2, dedicated to information collection, in close liaison with the European Commission and with those IST projects involved in the concetration mechanism run by unit INFSO/E3, and information content production. This information is needed to produce the web site, brochure, trailer (2 to 3 minute video) and exhibition stand (common demo), as well as posters used in the stand. This work package also includes the support activities of the SMARTER project to the concetration mechanism (support to reporting and dissemination activities in particular);
- WP3, dedicated to disseminating the information produced in WP2. Aside the promotion (and updating) of the web site, it is essentially during a study trip to the US in May 2002 and three major events, to which representatives of the IST projects will be invited, that the results will be circulated.
These three events are:
Net-at-Home (in 2001 and 2002), the biggest European annual Conference & Exhibition on the theme of Home Networks, Connected Appliances, Residential Gateways and Internet Services.
EuroChina2002, the Euro-China Co-operation Forum on the Information Society, organised in April 2002 in Beijing, China, by the European Commission (DG Information Society) and two Chinese Ministries the MOST and the MII.
There are 5 important milestones: Month 6 (end of the information collection and production period);
Months 3, 7 and 15 (dissemination at Net-atHome2001, EuroChina2002 and Net-atHome2002);
Month 8 (study trip to the US). The expected results are, firstly the availability of the information produced (Web site, brochure, trailer, exhibition stand), and secondly the attainment of goals (greater coherence, visibility and international impact of IST actions in the field of Home environments and related themes).