SimWeb will provide European businesses in the digital contents sector with insights and tools, which will enable them to take informed business strategy decisions and become more competitive by adapting their traditional business models to the new, demanding reality. SimWeb will design and implement sector models based on innovative, reusable, and highly scalable multi-agent simulation technology. These computer-based models, calibrated to market data extracted from extensive sector surveys, will then allow market participants in the digital contents sector to run through an almost unlimited variety of social and economic scenarios, and observe the impact they have on their businesses in particular, and on the competitive digital contents landscape in general. The insights gained during these simulation runs will permit them to adjust their own business models to the new competitive demands.
One of the most important aspects of the SimWeb project is its strong interdisciplinary character. The fact that sociologists, computer scientists, and business professionals have to work together to define, analyse, and model the digital contents sector requires a strongly integrated project execution. This means that in this project, unlike the situation in more technology-focussed IST projects, participatory problem analysis and result assessment, and socio-economic market sector analysis take a central role and are tightly integrated with the technological aspects of the multi-agent model design and implementation.
Results foreseen are the following:
1. a comprehensive survey of the digital music and newspaper markets;
2. an in-depth analysis of the bodies of data collected during the in-depth analysis;
3. a set of reusable and scalable multi-agent modelling components;
4. sector models based on the multi-agent technology;
5. Best Practice Guidelines;
6. games that facilitate the task of eliciting information and knowledge from the different parties involved.
(1) a comprehensive survey of the digital music and newspaper markets;
(2) an in-depth analysis of the bodies of data collected during the in-depth analysis;
(3) a set of reusable and scalable multi-agent modelling components;
(4) sector models based on the multi-agent technology;
(5) Best Practice Guidelines;
(6) games that facilitate the task of eliciting information and knowledge from the different parties involved,
(7) several reports and research papers.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
08190 Sant Cugat Del Valles (Barcelona)
GU2 7XH Guildford