The aim of the proposed FLOWGRID project is to establish a CFD Virtual Organisation, by setting up a GRID infrastructure and by deploying and sharing, software, computing resources and knowledge. FLOWGRID is an example of a GRID computing environment, with the vision to revolutionise the way CFD simulations are set up, executed and monitored on geographically and organisationally dispersed computing resources. This will be achieved by using a novel CFD solver and the expertise of the consortium in CFD, GRID computing and distributed computing. The project is generic and the components developed will allow their deployment on most European and International GRID. Information dissemination and liaison with other GRID projects will be established.The FLOWGRID model and software will be commercialised at the end of the project.
The specific measurable objectives of the FLOWGRID project are:
- To establish a network of GRID-enabled CFD centres from different European countries;
- To develop and implement novel client software for accessing CFD solutions on the GRID;
- To develop scalable and generic middleware to support the deployment of CFD solvers on the GRID;
- To assess the performance of the parallel version of the CFD solvers, by running real industrial applications on parallel distributed computers;
- To validate computational results with experimental results;
- To liaise with other European GRID projects.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The FLOWGRID software will be built on existing technology for GRID computing (GLOBUS) and use an EJB architecture (and J2EE) to support the deployment of CFD solutions on the GRIDvia a Java client.The work to be carried out, in order to develop the FLOWGRID components, their integration on the FLOWGRID testbed, and their evaluation, will include:
- Set-up of the FLOWGRID testbed, using the GLOBUS toolkit;
- Development of client software, using JAVA APIs;
- Construction of FLOWGRID Portal;
- Development of FLOWGRID middleware and support services, by implementing J2EE technologies;
- FLOWGRID Toolkit, to support collaborative applications, remote visualisation and interactive access;
- Adaptation of Back-End software, by performing functional and data decomposition;
- Integration of the components to construct the FLOWGRID system;
- Evaluate FLOWGRID system by running industrial applications;
- Validate software by comparing with experimental results.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
316 00 Plzen