State of the art PV-module lamination has some disadvantages :
- Six different layers to handle, to cut, to lay up in staple - Protective laminates including aluminium foil have the advantage of full moisture barrier but the disadvantage of causing electrical problems (short circuits, break down)
- Low moisture barrier of standard protective laminates
- Long cycle time of the laminating process.
To overcome these advantages the objectives of this project are :
- New moisture barrier layers by coating of dielectrics (SiO, mixed oxides with MgO etc) on suitable substrates.
- Incorporation of these barrier layers to integrated encapsulating composites, which include fast curing encapsulating EVA by direct extrusion of EVA onto the protective laminate.
- Further new materials and systems for a low cost encapsulation process without glass will be investigated.
The new products will be at lower cost and the new lamination process will need only 50% of time.
This will lower cost of module lamination up to 30% and increase productivity. A realization time interval of 2 to 3 years into industrial scale is expected after successful completion of the project.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts