To improve the state-of-the-art of the photovoltaic (PV) system technology and reduce the technical risks and costs associated with such systems. Specific objectives are to develop hardware, software, methodologies, and useful guidelines to the on-going and future PV applications.
Research is being carried out in order to improve the state of the art of the photovoltaic (PV) system technology and reduce the technical risks and costs associated with such systems. Hardware, software, methodologies, and useful guidelines are being developed. Project work consists of the following 4 basic tasks:
implementation of the development work in the 3 concerted action topics (data plant monitoring, PV array structures, and social aspects);
coordination of other concerted action projects directed by the other organizations (PV arrays and solar sensor power conditioning, modelling and simulation, battery control and management);
coordination of other system development work executed by the Commission;
follow up of effort on a day to day basis.
Results so for involve the development of the following:
a monitoring system;
real time diagnostic systems for battery state;
mathematical models for sizing stand alone systems;
a handbook on PV system technology.
Project work consists of the following four basic tasks:
1) Implementation of the development work in the three concerted action topics: data/plant monitoring, PV array structures, and social aspects. The work programme also covers system level topics, including optimization of design and performance, methodologies and guidelines (e.g., sizing, lay-out, system/ subsystem rating, special analytical tools, performance diagnostic, and cost analysis).
2) Coordination of other concerted action projects directed by the other organizations: PV arrays and solar sensor power conditioning, modelling/simulation, and battery control/ management.
3) Coordination of other system development work executed by the Commission (DG XII) and direct support to the Commission.
4) Follow-up effort on a day-to-day basis, on behalf of the Commission, the implementation of the concerted action and System development programmes. Activities include preparation of working papers in cooperation with the Commission's PV experts on progress of work and organization meetings of the concerted actions, other project leaders and visits of plants.
The hardware/software development activities in task 1 above will proceed from concept assessment to detailed design, procurement and verification stages. This will culminate in a series of equipment and sensors which can be used in all on-going projects. Work on methodologies and analytical tools will lead to establishment of detailed guidelines.
The coordination effort and direct support to the Commission in tasks 2-4 will be done in the following phases :
1) an assessment of the results of previous programme,
2) a review of the new work programme,
3) review of the progress of various projects and provide suggestions on a periodic basis, and
4) documentation of the overall results, highlighting new technologies useful to all PV system projects.
95030 Piano D'arci (Ct)