THE MAIN AIM OF THE PROJECT IS TO DEVELOP EXPLORATION METHODS FOR BASTNAESITE TYPE OF DEPOSITS WHICH ARE THE MAIN SOURCE OF RARE EARTHS TAKING THE DEPOSIT OF KIZILCAOEREN, TURKEY, AS AN EXEMPLE. A COLLABORATION WITH THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF TURKEY AND THE PERMISSION TO WORK CAN BE GUARANTED FROM THE FACT THAT THE PRESENT GROUP IS PARTNER OF THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY IN OTHER PROJECTS. THIS STUDY IS THE NECESSARY PREREQUISITE FOR ORE BENEFICIATION AND HYDROMETALLURGICAL REE EXTRACTION TEST OF DIRECT ECONOMIC INTEREST.
The rare earth element (REE) mineral of most economic interest is bastnaesite.
Literature data indicated that near the village of Kizilcaoeren, about 120 km west of Ankara, Turkey bastnaesite, barite and fluorite bearing veins with carbonatitic affininty are found. This bastnaesite became a research target suitable for the development of advanced exploration methods.
In the first phase of the project the types of ores, including mineralogy and geochemistry were defined in order to form a basis for mineral preparation tests.
In the second phase the geological setting of the mineralization and the genesis of the deposit were studied and the methods for the identification of targets for regional and detailed REE exploration were developed.
THE AIM OF THE RESEARCH IS TO STUDY THE GEOLOGY, MINERALOGY AND GEOCHEMISTRY OF A RARE EARTH DEPOSIT IN AN ALKALINE COMPLEX RECENTLY DISCOVERED IN NW TURKEY. SUCH A TYPE OF DEPOSIT IS NOT EXISTING IN THE EC BUT MAY BE IMPORTANT FOR OUR RARE EARTH SUPPLY.
THE RD WORK PARTLY DONE IN ASSOCIATION WITH PREUSSAG AND THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF TURKEY WILL BE FOCUSSED ON:
- SATELLITE IMAGERY PROCESSING AND INTERPRETATION (SPOT, TM) INCLUDING AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS WHEN AVAILABLE (MAINLY UNIVERSITY OF TRENTO).
- MAPPING OF SELECTED AREAS OF THE COMPLEX AND SYSTEMATIVE SAMPLING OF ROCK TYPES FOLLOWED BY MINERALOGICAL, GEOCHEMICAL AND ISOTOPIC MEASUREMENTS. THE ORE PROCESSING ASPECTS WILL BE ALSO COVERED.
- STATISTICAL TREATMENT OF THE DATA.
- MODELLING OF THE GENESIS OF SUCH A DEPOSIT COMPARED TO OTHER KNOWN DEPOSITS.
- DEFINITION OF CRITERIA FOR EXPLORATION.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts