The overall objective for this project is to investigate new methods for deep sea intervention that could be used in the future to deploy, supply, operate and recover benthic laboratories.
Four concepts will be investigated:
- an active docking system (LOMOS),
- an active docking system with a special ROV (REMORA),
- a light ROV (ROV 6000),
- a self-propelled system (FREE MODULE).
The objective of the project will be to determine the optimum scope of each concept according to:
- the benthic lab characteristics (size, weight life duration), - the vessel characteristics (positioning, weight, handling capability, heave compensation),
- the applications (lath handling, labs interconnection, energy source recharging, data recovery).
This will be achieved through a program including:
- the engineering of each system,
- simulation studies,
- hardware and software developments,
- sea trials.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts