OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTED ACHIEVEMENTS
The project aims to answer the following three high-level questions:
- How does employment in rural communities change with the arrival of aquaculture?
- What are the predictions for socio-economic, environmental and biological sustainability resulting from the interactions between aquaculture and fisheries?
- What recommendations can be made for coastal resource management in areas where aquaculture and fisheries coexist?
To achieve the answers to these questions the following objectives will be pursued.
1) Analysis of labour market conditions in selected areas of five European countries, where aquaculture and fisheries coexist in widely different social and biological environments;
2) Analysis of the impact on the local economy of aquaculture and fisheries: social and economic circumstances of rural communities given the interaction between aquaculture and fisheries, fluctuations in profitability and demand for products, and changes in regulations.
Call for proposal