DAFUSA is to develop a multi-sensor data simulator with a data fusion mechanism which will contribute to the tracking of aircraft ground movements at airports. Connected to a scenario generator, the simulator will be used to validate and fine-tune existent algorithms and technologies adaptable for this task. Aspects of the approach will include analysis of data fusion algorithms, sensors and operational needs, software development and validation and deployment at several airports. Airport traffic capacity will increase as well as safety and security, with optimal use of airport resources.
The DAFUSA project addresses Ground Movement Data Processing at Airports. DAFUSA aims at establishing an user friendly simulator dealing with the Surface Movement Guidance Control System (SMGCS).
Ground movements controllers need accurate and reliable real time information to make at any time the right decision.
To achieve this, sensors of different kinds are required, each kind providing the system with a particular point of view. To build the best representation of the air field which merges all these particular views powerful and a robust data fusion mechanism is mandatory.
Several technologies exist, mainly for military applications. Those algorithms and methods could be used with success, after adaptations, in the context of airport ground surveillance.
The validation and the fine tuning of such algorithms require realistic environment simulators.
The purpose of the project is to define, integrate with existing tools, validate and finally put in use such a SMGCS simulator : DAFUSA.
DAFUSA will provide the airport engineering department with :
- a surveillance multi-sensor data simulator connected to a scenario generator,
- data fusion algorithms implemented in the simulator
- simulation results interpreter with statistical functions.
DAFUSA will permit users to :
- analyse performance of surveillance configurations and optimise sensor parameters settling,
- choose and optimise data fusion algorithms,
- integrate new sensors on the airport.
To achieve this goal, the following approach is applied :
- Existing analysis of the data fusion algorithms and sensors,
- Operational needs analysis,
- Functional requirements of DAFUSA,
- DAFUSA software development, with existing software interfacing (DIS architecture, Display,...),
- Software validation with scenarios of simulation,
- Deployment on airports with the participation of ANA (Portugal), AIR EUROPA (Spain) and RVA (Belgium).
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts