The research programme involves collaboration between scientists in Brazil, the United Kingdom and France, and participants in Spain, Portugal, and Italy. The research aims as follows :
1. To assemble and analyse epidemiological data on urban visceral leish maniasis in Teresina, Piaui State, Brazil (Brazilian and UK participants
2. To strengthen the research in Teresina, train local staff and transfer appropriate technologies (Brazilian, UK, French and Portuguese partici pants).
3. To perform a thorough comparison of diagnostic methods for canine visce ral leishmaniasis (Brazilian, UK and French participants).
4. To field test a chemiluminescent probe in both Brazil and France (Corsi ca).
5. To evaluate aminosidine for the treatment of canine visceral leishmania sis due to both L. chagasi (Brazil) and L. infantum (Corsica).
6. To identify asymptomatic human and canine carriers of infection (UK, Brazilian, French, Spanish participants).
7. To recommand and implement new methods of disease control based on the results of the research programme.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts