This project seeks to define a new organisational model for advanced communications in the European textile and clothes industry, which enables them to be integrated into existing information systems, particularly in the transport sector. It will study a mechanism for the ongoing monitoring of purchase orders, shipments and the location of goods, and draw up specifications for software companies or end users to implement telematics applications. Project demonstration will cover applications for sales agents and retailers, goods transport management, and Europe-wide validation and exploitation of the system.
The TEX.A.T.WORK project is born out of a well-identified user need - the need of the European Textile and Clothing industry to remain competitive and maintain the current level of employment.
The aim of the project is to define a new organisational model for the implementation of advanced communication techniques in the European Textile and Clothing industry and develop a set of applications aiming at demonstrating how advanced communications could be integrated in existing Information systems within the defined model.
The project will help the industry understand the benefits of using telematics and favour a widespread use of them. The output of the project will be:
1) the creation in 4 European countries of user groups which will directly participate in all project phases;
2) the identification and analysis of the user needs for the effective introduction of advanced communication in the textile and clothing chain and in its integration with the transport sector;
3) the study of a tracking and tracing system for the constant monitoring of purchase orders, shipments and the location of goods;
4) the definition of a set of generic functional and technical specifications (recommendations, implementation guidelines, etc.) which could be used by any software company and/or end-user for the implementation of telematics applications;
5) the development of demonstrators, which will consist of a number of components:
a) the integration within existing textile and clothing information systems of standardised fully integrated communication functionalities;
b) the development of a teleworking application for subcontractors;
c) the development of a telematic application for sales agents, retailers and remote distribution points;
d) the organisation and control of the flows of goods (shipments, goods receivement, etc.);
e) the management of the transport and distribution of goods;
f) the development of a tracking and tracing system;
6) the validation of the system at a number of companies of different type and size, located in countries and industrial districts all over Europe;
7) the exploitation of the system through a dissemination activity widespread in the different European regions involved in the project; this will contribute to raise the level of awareness on different types of telematics applications: EDI, teleworking, access to on-line databases, e-mail, etc.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts