ISAAC's main objective is to valorise the relationship between digital heritage and cultural tourism (CT) by developing a novel user-centric ICT environment providing tourism e-services that meet the needs of tourists and citizens in European cultural destinations, facilitating virtual access and stimulating learning experience of European cultural heritage (CH) assets before, during and after a real visit.
This will support:
A. Harmonisation of knowledge and practice in European CT destinations for the benefit of different categories of tourists and other users along the CT experience life cycle
B. Building a multi-stakeholder community of private/public destination managers, IT providers, citizens and tourists, for experiencing and managing CH in urban tourist destinations
Practical outcomes include:
1. A European Reference Model to standardise representation, annotation, presentation and retrieval of digital content in Cities' CH domain in context of interpretative strategies, by improving access to current and future information.
2. An ICT Architecture offering tourists and other users customised e-services for retrieving and accessing complex multimedia information, using cutting edge service-oriented, data mining and multi-agent technology capable of customising information in the CT sector.
3. An Intelligent Mapping System of CH for the preservation, interpretation and monitoring of urban tourism potential in 3 EU cities. This will include the development of a user-oriented satisfaction monitoring system and a GIS-based decision support tool in CT offers by cities.
4. An e-Governance Framework to assess the implications of strengthening ICT in promoting local heritage assets for enhancing the attractiveness and competitive advantages of CT destinations.
5. To disseminate and exploit the Project's Vision and Results to the wider research policy and cultural community and ensure their long-term durability and effects on European CH destinations.
Fields of science
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
1011 PN Amsterdam
SR1 3SD Sunderland
1081 HV Amsterdam
1081 HV Amsterdam