The secure exchange of sensitive information is of crucial importance in our society, as it protects money transfer, commercial transactions, medical data, remote control of critical infrastructures (power grid, telecom etc.). On the security side, Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) is a protocol based on the laws of quantum mechanics that guarantees unconditional security in the sharing of random keys to be used for secure communication. On the communication side, 5G is the fifth generation of wireless communication, that will soon become the standard for virtually every major telecommunication service provider, as defined by the standards organization 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project). Both QKD and 5G technologies require a satellite network for a global coverage of their services. QUANGO will provide a new paradigm to share the satellite infrastructure required for secure communication based on quantum technologies and for 5G communication.
The main objective of the project is the design of a network of 12U-CubeSat low-earth-orbit satellites offering combined capabilities for communication secured by QKD and for 5G connection for Internet of Things (IOT), the development of payloads, sub-systems and ground stations for such a network and its implementation feasibility.
Specific objectives of the project include:
- Design of a nano-satellite with both QKD and 5G capabilities for low orbit satellite-to-ground communication.
- Design and development of the quantum payload and ground station.
- Laboratory demonstrations of the critical components and subsystems.
- Theoretical study of future technologies: intersatellite QKD and integration of QKD security into 5G protocols.
- Exploitation and business plan for the 5G-QKD satellite
- Development and integration of a QKD system in the networking infrastructure of a leading bank in an EU member state as a prototypical end user of the 5G-QKD satellite.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringinformation engineeringtelecommunicationswireless5g
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power transmission
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesquantum physics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeRIA - Research and Innovation action