Worldwide urgent action is needed to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the consequences of climate change. French deeptech startup ROSI is committed to a circular economy of Photovoltaics (PV), which is decisive to render PV sustainable and to re-capture the PV value chain for Europe.
Presently, several high value raw materials composing PV modules, mainly silicon and silver, which are produced through high energy consuming and CO2 emission processes, suffer great value loss, because:
1. Sawing process to obtain silicon wafers from silicon ingots discards >40% of silicon in forms of nano/micrometer particles, disposed as industrial waste;
2. No valorization of high-value raw materials such as silicon and silver in end-of-life (EOL) PV modules is carried out.
The proprietary technological innovations and industrial know-how of ROSI lead to a full valorization of the raw materials from PV-waste, including:
1. Reconditioning of silicon from PV-waste for reintegration into various industries including PV, electronics, and silicone;
2. Non-destructive extraction of silver through non-toxic, low-cost and high yield process.
For fast and high-quality innovation deployment, ROSI positions itself as an operator carrying out recycling activities of PV-waste in the value chain. Its realization through co-investment with industrial partners into Joint-Ventures (JV) is the scalability booster.
The global development strategy of ROSI is based on construction of a series of PV-waste upcycling sites and carrying out of continuous RDTI (Research, development, technology, innovation) activities to maximize the added value of upcycled raw materials.
The roadmap implementation will contribute directly to EU Green Deal and sustainability goals, as well as to the recovery of European sovereignty on the PV and raw materials value chain. The vision of ROSI is to become global-leader in circular economy of PV in 5-10 years – a high-risk and courageous vision!
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call