A multiparametric investigation of microbial interactions
Understanding how bacteria interact with each other and how they form communities is of paramount importance for human health. The EU-funded MultiMEc project proposes to study microbial interactions by developing a synthetic model community that consists of Escherichia coli and Lactobacillus plantarum, two microorganisms of the human gut. Researchers will employ experimental and mathematical methods to characterise the interactions between these microbes as well as delineate the role of the environment. These fundamental principles will find a plethora of applications including in the management of intestinal diseases associated with microbial dysbiosis.
Fields of science
- natural scienceschemical sciencesanalytical chemistryquantitative analysis
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesproteinsproteomics
- natural scienceschemical sciencesorganic chemistryorganic acids
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesecology
- natural sciencesmathematicsapplied mathematicsmathematical model