Bioprinting: the future of transplantation
Tissue bioprinting is a novel technology that uses biomaterials to produce constructs for potential clinical use. This approach is expected in the future to address the shortage of donor tissues and organs needed to treat many chronic diseases. INKspired is an EU-funded initiative that will advance bioprinting by developing bioinks based on the extracellular matrix that also combine the capacity to modulate the immune response. This will help recreate the native complexity of tissues more accurately and improve the mechanical and biological properties of printed constructs. Importantly, it will bring bioprinting one step closer to generating implantable living tissues.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesproteins
- medical and health sciencesmedical biotechnologytissue engineering
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicineimmunology
- engineering and technologymechanical engineeringmanufacturing engineeringadditive manufacturing
- engineering and technologyindustrial biotechnologybiomaterials