Dynamically reconfigurable complex emulsions are becoming increasingly important in pharmaceuticals, medical diagnostics, and sensing. The main objective of SMARTDROPS is to develop original Smart Complex Emulsions (SCEs) and unlock their extraordinary multifaceted potential by creating novel integrated devices. In particular, SMARTDROPS will be focused on exploring three potential applications of SCEs: (1) SCEs containing multifunctional liquid crystals to create new dynamically controlled lensing devices, (2) SCEs that can form complex nanostructures, which will be used as high-performance organic electronics devices, wherein the liquid crystal organization will facilitate the charge transport, and (3) SCEs-based sensors that will be incorporated into organs-on-chips for continuous monitoring of cell activity without the need for complex and specialized equipment. Our target materials and their properties are relevant to present and newly emerging technologies, including high-resolution micro-lenses, high-performance OPV/OFET devices, and inexpensive chemical sensors with extraordinary sensitivity and versatility.
SMARTDROPS includes a strong transfer of knowledge between the host institution and me. The fellowship will advance my future independent research career in chemistry by providing me an interdisciplinary training in wide-range of skills, mentoring from leading experts in the field, and helping me to develop a new research line that has not yet been investigated at the hosting institution. The results emerging from SMARTDROPS will have a significant impact on the scientific community focused on the preparation of advanced functional materials. The proposed applications may contribute to advance future innovative technologies, and thus special attention will be given to the exploitation of the scientific results and their IP protection. This multidisciplinary project is in line with the MSCA strategy contributing to Europe's competitiveness and growth.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical scienceselectromagnetism and electronicsoptoelectronics
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacypharmaceutical drugs
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- engineering and technologyother engineering and technologiesmicrotechnologyorgan on a chip
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringliquid crystals
- HORIZON.1.2 - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Main Programme