EU is facing a pressing challenge to transition into a carbon neutral economy 2050, with an intermediate target of 55% CO2 reduction emissions in comparison to 1990. Greece is lagging behind in the energy transition process due to a number of reasons such as:
• high share of natural gas in the electricity generation mix on a permanent basis
• use of fossil fuels (lignite) in high-demand periods
• lack of industrial plans to exploit CO2 capture and storage technologies as well as perspectives for CO2 export in other countries
• lack of geothermal energy penetration into the electricity mix
Geosciences play a fundamental role in research activities tackling new energy transition themes through the use of underground resources, such as the geological storage of CO2 and hydrogen and geothermal energy.
This is the foundation of TWINN2SET project. It will be implemented as a partnership between the Institute of Geoenergy of the Foundation for Research & Technology – Hellas (EL), the University of Stavanger (NO) and the IFP Energies Nouvelles (FR), in the domains of 1) Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS), 2) Deep Geothermal Energy and 3) Subsurface Hydrogen Storage. The project consists of a capacity building & mentoring programme in the above three areas which will be complemented by an exploratory project focusing on Hydrogen storage in Geological formations, fostering interdisciplinary competencies at the interplay of a promising energy vector with subsurface reservoir characterisation, modelling and monitoring.
The TWINN2SET project will provide a coherent network that will strengthen interactions between members of the consortium. More specifically, TWINN2SET will enable the newly established IG/FORTH to participate in the European R&I process on Energy Transition.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpower engineeringelectric power generation
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsfossil energynatural gas
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringcarbon capture engineering
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energygeothermal energy
Funding SchemeHORIZON-AG - HORIZON Action Grant Budget-Based
92500 Rueil Malmaison
See on map
See on map