Currently, existing polymer closed loops in the automotive sector achieve targeted ratios but in next future it will become more complicated due to reducing the overall vehicle weight by increased use of polymer. ELV components with an economic value are r ecovered and reused on an ad-hoc basis without central direction or regulation. The majority of ferrous and other metals remaining within the ELV are shredded and recycled in different industries. The residual material, up to 30% of the weight of the vehic le, is termed Auto Shredder Residue (ASR). ASR consists of plastics, rubbers, foams, glass, etc. ASR is usually incinerated or disposed on landfills, since the multi-material nature of ASR makes it economically impossible to segregate, recycle and reuse it . CONCLORE will develop a sustainable, low emission system to manufacture a 100%-recyclable single-component car interior product; the material will be recovered at the end of the useful life of the vehicle and will recycled back into another product eith er for consumption within the automotive industry or for another end use outside of this market. The development will be carried out exemplary for a representative engine compartment part. To enhance the currently achieved recycling ratio it is mandatory n ot only to change single stages within the production system of automotive part. It is rather necessary to develop a new concept which enables the reintegration of recycled polymer material with a continuous quality. The concept of Controlled Closed LOop R Ecycling (CONCLORE) connecting primary forward supply chain management with reverse supply chain management. The controlled closed loop recycling will provide the increase of using recycled materials in sophisticated applications by an economical viable so lution. This will have a positive impact of the sustainable use of energy and raw materials.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/automotive engineering
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/waste management/waste treatment processes/remanufacturing
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/environmental sciences/pollution
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/organic chemistry/volatile organic compounds
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/waste management/waste treatment processes/recycling
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/radio technology/radio frequency
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project