The principle technological objective of this project is to develop a novel tare identification and corrosion detection system to improve filling accuracy, productivity and safety for the 7,500 SME LPG, butane and propane gas vendors. The proposed technology development targets the more than 7,500 EU SME gas filling and test stations, and the principle objective of this project is to develop a novel, proactive and cost effective ultrasonic based, simultaneous tare identification and corrosion leak detection system for pressure cylinders during filling. Accurate tare identification will help reduce the EUR1.2bn waste problem among the SMEs, while simultaneously increasing productivity by 5% and the frequency of corrosion leak detection, thereby significantly increasing the safety of pressure cylinders.
Our project aims to develop a novel product that can be manufactured and distributed globally through a network of European SMEs, creating 66M pa of new sales and exports for the European NDT sector and safeguarding 550 jobs. Our provisional analysis of the target market size indicates that within the EU alone, there are potentially 7,500 prospective users of our system within the pressure cylinder sector alone valued at more than EUR300m p.a. and an additional 45,000 globally equalling a market potential of EUR2.1bn in this sector alone based on a selling price of EUR80,000.The objective of this project is to develop a novel proactive and cost effective, simultaneous, tare identification and corrosion leak detection system for pressure cylinders during filling by developing a novel non-contact Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) hybrid Laser EMAT/Air coupled Ultrasonic testing system capable of performing simultaneous tare identification and corrosion leak detection in steel and composite pressure cylinders.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics/productivity
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/data analysis
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/fossil energy/natural gas
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics/laser physics
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/organic chemistry/aliphatic compounds
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/sensors
- /natural sciences/mathematics/applied mathematics/mathematical model
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call