Today, dogs are used to detect high and low blood glucose, cancers and are tested for coronavirus.
The new Lassie breath analyser BOYDSense will put the power of a dog’s nose into people’s hands and give them access to gentle health monitoring.
Lassie starts with diabetes as it is an immense burden for 40 million people in Europe. Current glucose monitoring technologies are underused because they are highly invasive, expensive, stigmatising and generate a lot of waste.
Lassie will transform this situation by making measurements painless, simple, discreet and cost-effective without any consumables. By analysing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in the breath, Lassie will calculate blood glucose value within current accuracy standard. As a result, Lassie users will test earlier in the disease and more frequently, leading to better diabetes management and significant cost savings. EIC Accelerator will put BOYDSense on track to become a global leader in non-invasive diabetes monitoring.
Fields of science
- natural scienceschemical sciencesorganic chemistryvolatile organic compounds
- agricultural sciencesanimal and dairy sciencedomestic animals
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicineendocrinologydiabetes
- medical and health scienceshealth sciencesinfectious diseasesRNA virusescoronaviruses
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicineoncology