I²GPS will develop a novel, integrated approach to the use of synthetic aperture radar interferometry (InSAR- data from GMES) and GNSS for use in the monitoring of subsidence, tectonic changes or other environmental hazards, which can only be identified by millimetric precision survey techniques.
I²GPS proposes to deliver a fully integrated unit and end-to-end application for generating co-registered SAR interferometric and GNSS precision survey results by:
• integrating the antenna of a GNSS receiver with a Compact Active Transponder antenna to ensure millimetric co-registration and assure a coherent cross reference between the two precision surveying techniques, with unit verification confirmed at the mid term review ;
• developing the integrated application processing and conduct field trials to confirm the effectiveness of the technique, to be reported at the final review;
• preparing a business plan for exploiting the resulting product and reporting the results to the user community, thereby increasing the use of GNSS & GMES.
The project responds to an identified user need; the Geological Survey of Slovenia needs an early warning system for landslide hazards, such as that which “erased” a village and resulted in 8 casualties. The work plan captures the user requirement and encompasses field trials to validate the prototype unit and application processing development. Integration of a C-band CAT)with GNSS technology progresses beyond the state of the art but, because of the expertise of the team assembled, is sufficiently close to existing equipment & processing to give a high likelihood of success within the budget proposed. The partners believe that I²GPS will increase the market for both GNSS and GMES and are committed to the exploitation of the unit and application after the conclusion of the project.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/economics and business
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/navigation systems/satellite navigation system/global navigation satellite system
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/radio technology/radar
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)
91140 Villebon Sur Yvette
LN6 3LQ Lincolnshire