The MAPICC 3D project and concept aims at developing manufacturing system for 3D shaped, multilayered products based on flexible materials. The ultimate goals are:
> The development of integrated and automated process chain able to produce from hybrid thermoplastic yarn to 3D complex shaped thermoplastic composite structure in single step thermoplastic consolidation process.
> The development of flexible industrial tools, able to produce customized final composites: possibility to reinforce the preform by coating, weaving multilayers, by injection of foam, by introduction of sensors (control quality of preform during the production or monitor the integrity of composite during use)
> The development of modelling tool in order to help understanding of the mechanisms involved in the new technologies and to prototype virtually 3D preform, predictive tools to evaluate the physical and mechanical properties of final 3D preform and final composites structure and at the last step reverse engineering.
The speed of production and the cost of manufacturing the 3D preform will be in accordance with the transport, building and energy thanks to:
• The use of raw materials at low cost based on thermoplastic polymer, or regenerated fibres,
• A decrease of production time. The polluting, labour-intensive and expensive steps of cutting, forming and joining, of current composites production could be avoiding.
• A dynamic quality control during the production to improve the process robustness,
• A decrease of quantity of wastes in comparison to current 2D preform based composite structures manufacturing.
The consortium allows integrating the entire process chain and involves the industrial stakeholders from machine tools, automation and modelling processing of flexible materials, yarn and textiles, composites and end users for transport: industry insures the leadership of the project.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/composites
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/coating and films
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/textiles
- /social sciences/sociology/industrial relations/automation
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-IP - Large-scale integrating project