Since GPS has reached full operational capability in 1993, the system has been taken up by public transport applications quite slowly compared to automotive navigation devices on the road. Even today GPS is used only at some installations for traveller information for tram/bus arrival time, but mostly not for demanding tasks that affect traffic light control. The current proposal on “GSP – Galileo Signal Priority” starts right here with the application of transit signal priority (TSP) for vehicles of public transportation (PT). The project focus has been put on TSP to overcome the last obstacle for a sustainable introduction of GNSS to support and improve all functions of PT. With this step the existing infrastructure based systems (which are less flexible and more cost intensive) shall be dispensable, to save cost on equipment and maintenance and explore the full potential of onboard intelligence, where GNSS has a leading role to enable the overall application. In this regard the main aim of this proposal is:
• To develop a prototype for robust positioning exploring EGNOS, EDAS or Galileo as main sensor, in order to satisfying all the requirements in PT.
• To develop new traffic light control schemes, which can explore the advantages of GNSS based systems in PT and overcome the deficiencies of costly infrastructure based systems.
Both steps are essential elements for a successful market entry plan to bring robust positioning into demanding PT applications. While new performance levels in positioning are achievable through the use of EGNOS, EDAS and Galileo, the migration of this innovative technology into existing systems of PT has to be solved as well. A concept will be elaborated to enable a smooth transition from state of the art systems, towards new PT schemes on the basis of innovative products. The project objectives support the development of adequate GNSS based products, including necessary steps for their integration into modern ITCS.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/sociology/social problems/migration
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/public transport
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/navigation systems/satellite navigation system/global navigation satellite system
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)
147 00 Praha