This abstract highlights the approach taken to meeting the technical requirements of the call, the partnership with two SMEs, the European dimension of the proposal, and the inclusion of universities and specialist sub-contractors.
AEC has identified specific technologies (eddy current and ultrasonic acoustic sensors, and piezoelectric actuators) as having significant potential for new forms of implementation in engine controls. AEC will extend this process of engagement with specialists to ensure state of the art technology is available for aerospace controls.
Specifically within this programme:
- AEC will develop new means of interaction between the metering system and the sensors and actuators
- Micro-Epsilon Messtechnik, a German SME, will develop an eddy current sensor system for continuous monitoring and proximity sensing
- Oxford Radio Frequency Sensors, an SME closely linked to Oxford University Clarendon Laboratory, will develop piezoelectric acoustic mass flow measurement developed from recent advances in medical physics
- AEC will pull through work already committed with Newcastle University to develop piezoelectric acoustic position sensing, also drawing on research work underway with Leeds University. Some of this design and manufacturing work will probably be sub-contracted to a Danish specialist company, Noliac
- AEC will also pull through work already underway with Bath University to develop a new generation of piezoelectric actuators with the potential to actuate both direct drive and servo-system control of aerospace fuel systems
- AEC will carry out whole system environmental testing on in house test facilities normally used for the development and qualification of civil and military fuel control systems for production application
All these systems will be compact, robust, reliable, and precise by virtue of the base technologies that are being applied, and also due to the design capability within AEC to design fit for purpose aerospace controls.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesacoustics
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuels
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringautomation and control systems
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringinformation engineeringtelecommunicationsradio technologyradio frequency
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call