The project addresses the development of innovative GNSS Safety of Live (SoL) application in the train control speed supervision, train control and traffic management of low traffic lines (LTL). The application contributes to the adoption of EGNOS as a precursor and to the introduction of Galileo in the rail safety related domain. Application is in a broad context since it introduces the GNSS train positioning and speed determination with SoL characteristics in all critical operations of a railway line. The project includes the development and integration of new concept, software, hardware, services and datasets compatible with the current evolution of the rail signalling and rail standards. The selection of LTL application demonstrates the complementarity and migration to the ETCS when GNSS is applied in a holistic approach.
Develop and demonstrate by real train operation the innovative concept of applying the GNSS SoL to railway safety and produce advanced operation on low traffic lines and hence:
• Stimulate adoption of EGNOS within new innovative rail operation with important market impact and with important effects on socio-economic, mobility and environment;
• Prepare markets for Galileo introduction since EGNOS is the precursor of GALILEO. Enablers will be created including the awareness and preparation of the railway operations to immediately apply the new system;
• Stimulate EU GNSS industry competitiveness in domains which are reputed (railway safety, railway integrated operations) for using mostly traditional ground-based technologies and conservative for global approach. The railway industries and the satellite navigation industries will cooperate.
The overall result is the full specification, applied technology and live demonstration – to create impact and proof of feasibility and economic evidence, validated and certified under the EU ruling and applied on the line Brasov – Zarnesti of the RCCF-TRANS (Romania).
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/sociology/social problems/migration
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/navigation systems/satellite navigation system/global navigation satellite system
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)