The SATSA project has the following three main objectives:
1. SBAS Capacity Building in South Africa: To support South Africa in building up local capacity with regard to SBAS knowledge and technical know-how to better manage SBAS in South Africa (and Africa ultimately) in all its phases, from deployment to an operational service. It also aims to raise awareness of SBAS capabilities to a wide range of application sectors. To achieve this objective, three main activities will be developed:
o Training sessions will be provided for capacity building on GNSS and SBAS issues not only to SANSA but also to other relevant partners in South Africa: ATNS, ATA, CAA, etc.
o Working sessions will be also provided with the help of the relevant training tools – used in the EGNOS program and elsewhere – which will allow exercising some of the concepts obtained during the training sessions
o Training trials will be conducted with the goal of allowing SANSA to operate a SBAS Central Processing Facility such as magicSBAS and become aware of the services and performances that SBAS technology can bring to South Africa not only for Civil Aviation but also for other applications requiring improved accuracy.
2. SBAS Way Forward in South Africa: As a consequence of the capacity building acquired during the project, a way forward on SBAS introduction in South Africa will be developed.
3. Promotion of the use of EGNOS, EDAS and Galileo in South Africa: EGNOS, EDAS and Galileo technology will be shown and used through the different training sessions and with the provided tools. In particular, EDAS data and similar EGNOS algorithms will be used when magicSBAS will be operated to show the SBAS performances that could be achieved in South Africa.
By providing the necessary SBAS training and capacity building, the SATSA project aims to contribute to the 2nd Joint Africa-EU Action Plan 2011-2013 on the Infrastructure area of the Partnership nr. 3: Regional integration, Trade and infrastructure.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/navigation systems/satellite navigation system/global navigation satellite system
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call