The project focuses on the design of a propagation environment-independent hybrid GNSS/UWB-based standalone Personal Navigation Device (PND) that is able to meet the today’s most stringent Location Based Services (LBS) requirements in both outdoor and indoor situations. The envisaged PND exploits tightly coupled GNSS and UWB positioning techniques to efficiently act in both outdoor and indoor situations. This virtually eliminates the problem of the handover when the PND moves from one environment to another, making itself intrinsically adaptive to the propagation environments. The EIGER project proposes a global approach to resolve this issue by focusing on the exploitation of the efficient joint use of GNSS signals and UWB positioning in order to allow permanent and reliable outdoor/indoor localization.
The PND software and hardware design will be jointly optimized, allowing manufacturing of small and low-power PNDs. The EIGER consortium will resolve a set of complex and multidisciplinary issues to successfully design the envisaged PND.
The main application of this device is dedicated, but not limited, to situations where transitioning from indoor to outdoor, are frequent and unavoidable such as: shopping malls, warehouses, large scale metropolitan events (including museums, institutional buildings and points of interest), ports and airports.
The related market segments will be immediately explored by the consortium SMEs through the establishment of efficient and feasible business models and exploitation plans.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/business model
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /social sciences/economics and business
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/navigation systems/satellite navigation system/global navigation satellite system
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call