One target of actual development activities for helicopter drives is the substitution of the conventional swash plate actuation based on hydraulic actuators by electro-mechanical actuators. In comparison to hydraulic actuators the jam of the electro-mechanical actuators has to be considered by a jam tolerant system design.
A possible solution is a redundant system configuration with two identical actuators at the activating positions. In case of a jam the failed actuator has to be disconnected from the drive in very short time by a fast activating actuator. In regard to the requirements no state-of-the art disconnect device is applicable.
The development of the disconnect device shall cover two different principles:
- reversible system, preferred electro-mechanical
- “single-shot” system, preferred pyrotechnical
Therefore, the project work will be carried out by 4 cooperation partners:
- The Institute of Engineering Design and Industrial Design of the University of Stuttgart (IKTD) has research experience in and expert knowledge on the development of fast operating connect/disconnect devices.
- The Italian company Umbra (Umbra) is a highly competent manufacturer and supplier of components for the aerospace industry like ballscrews, actuators and EMA drives.
- The German company PyroGlobe is a highly competent manufacturer and supplier of pyrotechnical components and will participate on the “single-shot” system.
- The Swiss company phi Engineering has experience in methodical product development and will participate on a “single-shot” system beside pyrotechnics.
During investigations performed by the IKTD a wide range of possible connect/disconnect principles were reviewed and concept studies were carried out in this context. This represents a promising basis for a continuative research work and a successful development may be expected.
The experience of the industrial partners will ensure the realisation of the prototype considering the aerospace requirements.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeJTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
06034 Foligno Pg