This research project consists in study the technological use disorders (based on Internet and smartphone) in European problem users, to estimate prevalence, psychosocial profiles, as well as to ascertain psychological factors involved in the development and maintenance of these disorders.
This Marie Curie 2013 proposal covers one overall research with two underlying studies:
First study, an online survey for cross-cultural longitudinal study with 10 European countries (in three waves) to estimate the evolution of prevalence and profiles of European citizens who present a problematic Internet and smartphone uses (creating and adapting scales, clinically validated, to both technological problem uses)
Second study, users extracted from first wave in Belgium will be invited to laboratory testing to determine psychological factors in these problematic technological uses and participate in focus groups to know their own perception of these maladaptive technological usage patterns
The objectives for this project are:
1) to select and adapt scales (in the European languages of countries selected) measuring problem Internet and smartphone uses to conduct a cross-cultural study
2) to estimate the prevalence of problem users within three waves to perform a cross-cultural longitudinal comparison per technology, per users’ categories and per country
3) to look into the perception of excessive and problem technological European users selected by a theoretical qualitative sample strategy through online narratives about their sensations, needs, cognitions and behaviours in relation with the maladaptive use of these technologies
4) to selected Belgium problem and non-problem users of both cyber-disorders to test in the laboratory psychological factors that lead with the self-regulation difficulties of users who presents these addictive symptomatology
With a mixed methods approach will be provide results in Europe technological use disorders reinforced for experimental findings.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/mobile phone
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/internet
- /social sciences/psychology/psychotherapy
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call